Call us Now +91-8744012053
Mon - Sat ~ 10:00 AM - 6:00 PMFollow & Like
How can you make your dog bark less? Well, barking of dog is completely natural and no one should expect a dog to never bark, as it is one type of vocal communication that dogs use. However, excessive dog barking can be an annoyance to yourself and to your neighbors, and it could interrupt your daily life, especially the amount of sleep you get. In this article, I will explain you why dogs bark and what are the steps you can take to stop excessive dog barking.
Understand why dogs bark-
Dogs bark for many reasons such as:
When dogs bark to get your attention, it is usually characterized by high pitched barks, followed by frenzied tail wagging and jumping at you. If dogs feel protective, defensive, or afraid, their barks are low, accompanied by snapping, growling, and showing of teeth. Excessive barking of dogs is usually followed by running around in circles, or along the windows or fences
Ways to stop dog’s excessive barking
Excessive barking of dog can be stopped through proper training and discipline, no matter how old your dog is. Here are six effective tips that will help your dog to stop and avoid excessive barking:
1. Train your dog- You should establish yourself as the Alpha (first in order of importance). It is ingrained in the system of dog to always look out for the Alpha. If dogs do not see you as the Alpha, they will take your place and become stubborn, commanding and bossy, and bark excessively to show their dominance. Obedience training is one of the best ways to establish your position as the Alpha.
2. Praise your dog- You should praise your dog when he is quiet so that he knows that not barking has its rewards. If you train your dog to bark when you ask him to, he will learn that there is a particular time to bark and a time not to bark.
3. Start training young– You should train your dog to stop barking on command at a very young age. Puppies promptly learn to follow your commands. If you start training at young age, dogs will see you as the Alpha, and will not excessively bark to establish their power.
4. Avoid dog petting while barking- You should avoid petting your dog while they are barking. A lot of dogs bark to get attention of their owner and if they learn that barking will actually get them that attention, they will bark more often to get your attention. You can also consider separating your dog from the front door or keep your dog in one of the bedrooms.
5. Use “Quiet” command- Various “Quiet” commands or phrases are also effective, so try to use the same phrase every time your dog barks. If your dog quiets down, praise him or give him some treats.
6. Get spray bark collar- You can also consider using spray bark collar for your dog. Whenever your dog barks, a citronella-scent will emit from this collar. You dog learn to associate the sound and smell of the mist with barking, and he barks less consequently. The research, conducted by “The Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association”, has proved that spray bark collars are effective and humane.
If you use these tips, you can stop excessive barking of your dog. Disciplining your dog may take time and several repetitions, but after training you get rewarded with a well-behaved, lifelong companion. You should first find out what is bothering your dog, and then take steps to alleviate its stress and stop excessive barking.