7 New Year Goals to Achieve For the Pet
How about starting the year on a selfless note? Well good done to others is good done to oneself! We all have New Year dreams and resolutions for ourselves. How about including our pets in our New Year goals for a change? With a little extra attention we can improve the quality of life for animals and they will surely welcome this thoughtful human cooperation.
- Say NO to Smoking: Passive smoking is equally harmful for your pet, as its is with children and people around you. Katherine Brammer, DVM, senior clinician of emergency service at Blue Pearl Veterinary Partners in Tampa, Florida confirms the fact that second hand smoking can increase the risk of respiratory disease as well as cancer in animals. Animals such as rabbits and cats constantly groom themselves by licking their fur and in this act can swallow the toxins that get settled on their hair. It is best not to expose any pet to second hand smoke. If quitting entirely isn’t on your cards, make sure you are away from your pet while smoking.
- Exercise with Your Pet: Exercise is healthy for both you and your pet. Exercise not just solves the problem of obesity in dogs and cats but also keeps destructive behaviors at bay by healthily busying the pet. A suitable amount of daily play and exercise depending upon the pet’s age, breed type and current health condition must be adopted for maintaining a healthy weight and overall fitness. In most cases a 30 to 60 minute exercise is required each day for a healthy dog. This can be spread out through the day and include walking the dog on the leash as well as off-leash exercise in dog parks. Dog parks also satiate the need to socialize the pet. A 15 minute walk twice daily is ideal for most dogs. Older dogs too require their daily dose of exercise in the form of walks however the duration should be shorter compared to when they were younger. Cats too can be taught to walk on a leash. Apart from an outdoor walk felines can be kept entertained with interesting cat toys inside the house. Dragging a feather tipped toy in front of a cat is a great way to keep it amused! It’s important to bring in new pet toys every now and then. For this purpose you can exchange toys with your dog or cat owning friends.
Fostering is a great way to test if one is ready to commit to a pet for life. Who knows in the process you may end up as a forever parent to the rescued/foster animal? Image:bestfriends.org/
- Foster Animals: Fostering is a great service to needy animals. You may not have the time or resources that go into full time pet parenting, however your humble abode can temporarily provide refuge and comfort to dogs/cats and abandoned pets who have been rescued by centers and animal shelters. It is a transitory arrangement where you nurture the animal till it finds a forever loving home. This is also a great way to test if one is ready to commit to a pet for life. Who knows in the process you may end up as a forever parent to the rescued/foster animal?
In India, the increase in pet adoptions clearly indicates a growing compassion for animals among Indians. Image:azdogadoption.com/
- Bring a Companion for Your Pet (Adopt Don’t Shop): Consider adopting another canine that will not just offer you but also your existing dog loyal companionship. But remember to adopt and not shop. Visit local animal shelters and rescue centers to find the perfect match for your home. Especially if you already own a friendly dog introducing dog number two into the family should not be a task. But make sure you bring in a non-assertive pooch and it should also match the size of dog number one. Even a cat can feel lonely and bored and may welcome a furry feline friend.
Cats simply love the chase game, running after a laser toy can be thoroughly enjoyed by it along with offering it the much needed exercise. Image:www.aliexpress.com
- Plan a Little Extra Stimulation for Your Cat each day: Misbehavior in cats can be linked with a lack of physical and mental stimulation. Cat parents must include fun activities for the pet daily.Felines are predators with a propensity to chase its prey; therefore toys that will justify this instinct should be on your shopping list this year. The scent of catnip toys will not just attract but also keep the kitty engaged. Try getting a cat tree with different levels and a hanging toy and feel the happiness your pet cat emotes!
It has been estimated by the American Veterinary Dental Society that about 80% dogs and more than 70% of cats develop gum disease by the age of three. Image:www.petsgroomingprices.com
- Good Oral Hygiene in Pets: Regular teeth brushing can save your dog and cat from dental problems. The problem of swollen gums can occur in dogs in the absence of oral hygiene. Brush your dog’s teeth regularly using dog toothpaste to prevent issues like receding gums or painful tooth extractions. It has been estimated by the American Veterinary Dental Society that about 80% dogs and more than 70% of cats develop gum disease by the age of three. It is therefore important to brush your pet’s teeth at least two-three times a week to deal with plague formation. The first step should be getting the dog/cat used to the taste of pet toothpaste by offering a little to it as a treat. The next step involves lifting the cheek of the animal and applying paste on its teeth using your finger. You can use gauze or a finger brush and finally get it accustomed to a tooth brush.
Royal Canin India Pvt Ltd has introduced age appropriate diet for dogs with special Senior Dog Food Formulas for Mini, Maxi and Medium Dog Breeds Image:www.pinterest.com
- Choose an Age appropriate Diet for the Pet: Puppies and other young pets would require a diet rich in certain nutrients that ensure their optimal growth. On the other hand elderly dogs may require a lesser calorie intake. Also senior dogs suffering from joint related diseases are recommended a suitable diet to deal with the health condition. You can also consult a veterinarian for suggestions on the type and amount of food to be given to your pet depending upon its age and health conditions.
What better way for your pet to start the New Year on not just a healthy but happy note as well. Incorporate these ideas to make healthful changes in the pet’s daily regimen. These small steps on your part promise a truly rewarding year for the animal. We wish a very Happy New Year to all the Critters and their Care-givers!
Article Resource : Woman’s Day
Tamanna is a blogger by profession and actively writes on Animal Welfare and Pet Parenting related issues. Her work has been well accepted on major digital platforms including the Huffington Post India.