Call us Now +91-8744012053
Mon - Sat ~ 10:00 AM - 6:00 PMFollow & Like
Facts about Great Dane that you should know. The Great Dane is also called “gentle giants” by the pet lovers because of their large size. Previously known for ferocious temperament and ruthless prowess, Great Dane has now become a popular household pet. They are an interesting breed of dogs, which possess some characteristics that are not shared by other dogs.
1. One of the most interesting facts about this breed of dog is that in the United States they are classified as a large dog breed, but in the U.K. they are classified in the Giant class of dogs.
2. The world record holder in the tallest dog category is a 42 inch tall Great Dane (Giant George). Although, the Great Danes are not the tallest breed, the Irish wolfhound tends to be taller but has a lighter weight than Great Danes.
3. Many people think that due to large size of Great Dane, they need to eat a huge amount of food. But, fact is that they only need about 2-3 cups of dry dog food per meal.
4. The Great Danes grow incredibly fast. Within a span of just one year, they go from just a handful of fluffy puppy to being able to stand up on their hind legs and look six foot tall dog.
5. The Great Danes have very short hair of the coat; therefore, brushing is quite easy.
6. Great Danes do not respond well to the hard training methods, as they are emotionally sensitive creatures.
7. Great Danes are an extremely sensitive breed of dogs. They do not behave well without the close contact with their owner. Living outside in a doghouse can destroy a Great Dane; make him depressed, mentally unstable, and even aggressive.
8. Anxiety can kill Great Danes because anxiety causes bloat in which the stomach gets air in it and twists, or torsions. This can kill this breed in less than an hour. If you are considering this breed, make sure to learn the symptoms.
9. Great Danes are easy to train dogs, especially house training
10. Great Danes were originally bred to help with various jobs and tasks like hunting, herding or droving, pulling or hauling vehicles, and water and mountain rescues.
11. They only need daily walks. Too much exercise can damage their fragile bones and joints.
12. Despite of big size, Great Dane is well suited for the apartment life.
13. The famous Scooby-Doo character was based on a Great Dane.
14. Great Danes comes in 6 different coat colors: Brindle, Fawn, Blue, Harlequin, Black, and Mantle:
15. The large, imposing appearance of Great Danes contradicts their very friendly nature, that’s why they are also called “gentle giants” and the “king of dogs”.