How to deal with inappropriate dog chewing.
Healthy chewing is very important for dogs. It ensures good dental health in dogs. Chewing also helps a pup explore its world, the habit of chewing in a dog’s life is as intrinsic as it can get, but there’s a fine line between good and bad chewing.
Gnawing that becomes destructive needs to be immediately corrected before it turns into a tough habit difficult to break.
At one juncture we encourage healthy chewing but when a dog begins to mindlessly gnaw on your shoes, furniture, wires, hands & feet and walls it can make you pretty irritable and at the same time scared for your pup’s health.Image -wagwooflove.com
Chewing on non-food objects is obviously detrimental to a dog’s health. Plus one cannot overlook the loss of personal possessions that may eventually strain your relationship with the pet. There are some great ways to stop destructive dog chewing that are comfortable to you and your doggy.
- Provide dog chew toys suitable for its size/age: Chew toys are an appropriate diversion for the canine from attacking and gnawing your precious belongings. In case your dog is big in size offer toys that aren’t too small as they may lodge in its throat.
A smaller dog will require a toy that it will be able to fit/hold in its mouth. Observe what toys the dog enjoys most. Offering these will prevent it from directing its teeth on things you want to protect. An aggressive chewer will need toys that don’t easily disintegrate. Don’t make the mistake of giving the pet old shoes you don’t use anymore to bite on. This will only confuse the pooch; it will not know a new pair of footwear from the old one. Image -belovedbark.com
Other alternatives include Raw-hide Calcium Bones for dogs but you need to supervise the time your dog is munching these bones.
Any small piece of bone that you feel the dog can swallow must be removed right away. Don’t store a used raw-hide bone, discard after one use. image-thespruce.com
- Curb destructive dog chewing: Shouting at, hitting or punishing the pooch isn’t the way to go about correcting negative behaviors. In case you see your pet dog chewing something it shouldn’t be, simply take it away and replace it with one of its chew toys/treats. Once it begins to chew on the right object meant for the purpose, encourage the dog by lavishing some praise on it. Slowly the doggie will understand objects that it is allowed to chew and the ones it needs to steer away from. You need to be consistent with the whole correction process. You can also store your shoes and other precious items in a cabinet that the pup cannot reach.
There are bitter flavored sprays/taste deterrents for pets. These are specially devised to prevent dogs from biting or licking objects it shouldn’t. Just spray and rub this on things you don’t want the dog to put its teeth on. Image-dogtime.com
- Boredom in dogs causes unwanted behaviors: Digging and chewing stem from a dull routine and loneliness. Spend quality time daily with your canine pal. Make it a priority to play games with and exercise the dog every day for certain duration of time. Your furry friend will be able to release excess energy and will not have any left for negative behaviors.
Teach your pet a new trick as this will help engage his/her mind healthily. Taking the dog for a walk also helps you to spend one on one time with it. Image-petcube.com
- Is the pet dog suffering from separation anxiety or some other medical issue? Separation anxiety causes boredom, loneliness and fear in dogs leading to negative behaviors. Remember separation anxiety is a disorder and can be cured using appropriate measures.
Medical issues may force a dog to gorge at non-food items. These include vitamin deficiency, malnutrition, diabetes, thyroid disease, increased hunger, intestinal parasites, Anemia and inflammatory bowel disease. Meet your vet in order to rule out medical causes behind dog chewing non-food items.
- Tuck away household cleaners/toxic plants: Household cleaners are composed of dangerous chemicals its best to hide them in a place where your curious pup can’t reach.
Also store your shoes, kid’s toys, and dirty laundry in designated cabinets. Save your pooch from an electric shock by hiding electrical cords behind furniture or conceal them in a way your pet is unable to chew on them. Image-www.cesarsway.com
A little effort from your side is sure to infuse your dog with good habits & health and prevent destructive gnawing that will save you from potential loss and irritation. If your dog is in its puppy stage, teething can promote inappropriate chewing. The puppies chew a lot during this phase in an attempt to rid discomfort caused in the gums.