How To Buy or Make Nutritious Treats For Cats
People love to pamper their feline friend, lavishing them with affection and lots of sumptuous treats. Cats are carnivorous creatures and will hunt just about anything they can lay their paws on. However, cats can gain weight easily just like people do. According to study of Association for Pet Obesity Prevention, approximately 57% of cats are obese or overweight. You should buy as well make only notorious treats that are low in calories for your cat.
[ Are you looking for branded cat foods?- ” Here are some nutritious cat foods and treats”]
Here are 5 tips for buying or making nutritious cat treats:
- Do not give “people food” in excess to your feline friend. Cat foods are formulated to contain the minerals, vitamins, and amino acids that a cat needs for its good health, therefore, “people food” should be a minimal part of the diet of your cat. Occasionally, you might try small cheese or cooked tuna, fish, chicken, or liver. In addition to this, you can also give your cat a tablespoon of milk, but for lactose intolerant cats, this may cause diarrhea.
- You should avoid giving toxic foods to the cats. Some toxic foods for cats include grapes, raisins, onions, salt, alcohol, tea. If you are not sure about any treat, you should talk your vet before giving it to your kitty.
- While giving your feline friend a treat, avoid doing it at the cat’s insistence or at the dinner table. Do not reward begging.
- Cat gain weight easily and overweight cats need special care. Simply cutting out the treats is not going to do much for an obese cat. It is recommended to have your cat evaluated by a vet, who will design a safe diet plan to help your kitty lose weight slowly. Furthermore, rapid weight loss in an overweight cat may cause a serious liver disease.
- Green food is nutritious as well as loved by the cat. Catnip makes a fine cat treat and it is also low in calories. Most cats also love cat grass, which is actually a cereal grass like oats or wheat. Both of these treats are easy to grow in a sunny window, and you can also find these treats in the pet stores. You should make sure that the plant you are offering to your cat is safe because there are various plants that are toxic for your cats. You can check the ASPCA’s web site for information on toxic plants for the felines.
- You should give cat treats for fitness and fun. Help your cat exercise body and brain by using treats to train your feline friend in agility exercises or tricks. It can be more enjoyable for the indoor-only cats.
- You should try giving treats to your cats after something your kitty does not like such as tooth brushing, claw trimming, bathing or a dose of medication. Along with petting and praise, it can go a long way toward soothing a cat which has been forced to do something unpleasant.
- In addition to buy cat food, you can make your own natural cat treats by cooking small bits of liver, eggs or fish for your cat. In this way, you will know exactly what is in the treats that your feline friend is eating. You can even make organic cat treats for your cat by buying fish, meat, and eggs that are certified organic. But, you should remember that these treats make up only a small part of the overall diet of your cat.