How To Take Care Rottweiler Puppies
Rottweilers are a popular dog breed but are quite misunderstood. Many people believe that these dogs have a mean streak or are quite aggressive, which is not correct. They are actually quite brave, intelligent, loving and loyal dogs. They can prove to be excellent companions for life. If they are raised in a proper way, they can prove to be the best friend of man. If you are adding a Rottweiler puppy to your family, you need to follow certain tips that can help you to raise a loving puppy. Here are some tips that help you to take care of your Rottie in effective way:
- It is very important to make a wise breeder’s choice as some breeders do not carry out suitable health screenings on their breeding stock. You can also pay attention to the working ability and conformation as it will clearly indicate whether the dog you are planning to bring home acts or looks like a Rottweiler. Though, Rottweiler puppies are too cute and very difficult to resist, one must take some time before deciding to take on home. Ask pertinent questions to the breeder and take his help to look for a puppy who will adjust well as per your lifestyle, home and plans.
- If you are ready to take on the responsibility of a Rottweiler puppy, you also need to be prepared to have a lot of patience and time in your hands. Initially, the things may be pretty hectic, but gradually, it will settle down. As soon as you bring a Rottweiler puppy home, you need to take him to a vet for important de-worming treatments and necessary vaccinations. It has been seen that Rottweilers are particularly susceptible to a disease called Parvo, which is a viral disease and as such you need to be very careful in the initial weeks.
- You also need to start training your dog right from the first day and lay down house rules so that “accidents” can be prevented. You can keep the dogs in a crate that will ensure that housebreaking doesn’t start right away. Take your puppy to the same place for relieving itself so that a habit is cultivated. Do not give him a free rein as it will set a bad precedence.
- Since Rottweilers are very eager to learn new things are always ready to please their owners, they will start learning new things at a rapid pace. In fact, you will be surprised to see how fast they learn. Do not use any harsh way of correcting them, always be patient and gentle with them as this will help in increasing learning to a considerable extent. Give them rewards when they indulge in a positive behavior.
- Rotties can weigh as much as 135 pounds that means they need a substantial amount of nutritious dog food. But, you also need to make sure that your dog doesn’t become overweight. You should feed you puppy a quality dog food. You can also ask your vet for the feeding recommendations to keep him at a healthy weight. Following commercial dog foods are especially prepared for your Rottweiler dog:
- As your Rottie’s teeth develop he will be starting to want to chew on everything. You can give your pet large rubber Kongs filled with peanut butter. When your puppy chews on furniture or any other precious object, do not yell at him, just replace the item with the good tasting kong toy. It is recommended to use hard rubber dental chew toys to satisfy the need of your puppy to chew. You should also clean the dirty toys in the bleach water to save your dog from infection.
Using these tips, you can ensure a well trained Rottweiler puppy who is a perfect companion to you.