List of Common Household Items that Dogs should not swallow.
Dogs love to explore the world around through their noses and sometimes the exploration turns into a temptation to lick and taste. Their indiscriminating palates may lead them to consume forbidden household items that can wreak havoc with their GI tract. It’s surely wise to keep the following things out of your pet’s reach and prevent it from swallowing them.
Spongy materials like Paper have a propensity to expand and if ingested will enlarge in the stomach of the pet dog. Some cases will require surgery for removal of such foreign bodies. Image- www.clublabrador.com
- Forbid your dog to snack on paper: A small piece of paper may not cause harm as it will easily pass through the gastrointestinal tract and be expelled out. The problem arises when the dog gorges on too much paper. If your pet has a free range to your toilet then that is something you need to restrict. You’re lucky if your pooch hasn’t had its hands on toilet paper, absorbent paper towels and sanitary napkins yet.
X ray of dog that swallowed coins. Image-fortheloveofthedogblog.com/
- Metal objects: Coins if ingested can lead to zinc poisoning. There is always a great risk from pointed objects like a knife and nails as well as sharp edged razors. These can pierce through and injure the intestines of the animal. Then there is always a threat of blockages in the G.I tract. In the event of the pup gulping a small piece of metal, contact your vet immediately.
If your dog develops Gastro intestinal distress due to its feces eating habit, it will exhibit signs such as vomiting and diarrhea. Take him to the Vet immediately. Image-barkingroyalty.com
- The dog may get tempted to eat poop of other animals: If your pooch is particularly fond of sniffing, licking or eating poop of other dogs, cats or local animals that it finds in colony parks or neighboring areas; then you will have to get it de-wormed on a regular basis with the help of the veterinarian. If your dog develops Gastro intestinal distress due to its feces eating habit, it will exhibit signs such as vomiting and diarrhea. You will have to get it examined by the doctor that will most likely check its stool for the presence of bacterial infection and intestinal parasites.
Make sure you keep small sized garments including underwear away from dogs that are aggressive chewers. Image- barkpost.com/
- Some piece of human garment or stuffed toy: Your harmless looking sock can turn out to be a big culprit. Very often we let our dogs play with socks or even soft toys. However it has been found out that these items fall under the category of most common objects that have required surgical intervention to be removed from canines yearly. Make sure you keep small sized garments including underwear away from the pet.
- A large piece of real bone: Real bones are a dog’s first love. However this love can turn deadly when large pieces of the solid bone are unable to pass through the digestive tract. Just in case you decide to be generous and offer real bones to the canine, make sure you sit next to it and keep a watch till it has nibbled properly and finished its meal. If by mistake the dog swallows a large chunk, get in touch with an animal doctor at the earliest( image: www.petsworld.in/blog/ten-pet-poisoning-prevention-tips.html ).
Outdoorsy dogs may get a bit overwhelmed exploring its natural surroundings and end up feasting over some poisonous plant/leaves. Even eating non-poisonous leaves can be dangerous as they choke the intestines. Also there are chances the dog might take in stones or sticks. If you suspect your pet has consumed something it shouldn’t have, it’s time for a vet visit.
Obviously it is not possible for you to supervise your dog through-out the day. There are times when you are busy with household chores and may not really know what your pet dog is upto in the adjacent room. Therefore keep human medications, food stuffs like chocolates, batteries, nicotine/cigarettes and cleaning agents like soaps/detergents among other things stacked in places and cabinets your dog cannot reach.