Pedigree Vs Purina – Which is Better?
Just like other humans in your family, your pet dog is also a part of your family. So, it is your duty to make sure that he gets the best food. The pet food market is flooded with numerous brands which claim to be the best. Here we will compare dry food by two major pet food manufacturers Pedigree and Purina. Here it goes:
Dog Food by Purina: Headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri, Nestle-Purina is the world’s largest pet food manufacturer. Dog foods by the company are considered to be the premiere dog foods. In dry food category, the company offers the following food:
- Purina ONE SMARTBLEND Healthy Puppy Formula
- Purina ONE Beyond White Meat Chicken & Whole Oat Meal Recipe
- Purina ONE SMARTBLEND Healthy Weight Formula
- Purina ONE SMARTBLEND Large Breed Puppy Formula
- Purina ONE SMARTBLEND Large Breed Adult Formula
- Purina ONE SMARTBLEND Sensitive Systems
- Purina ONE SMARTBLEND Lamb & Rice Formula
- Purina ONE Beyond Ranch Raised Lamb & Whole Barley Recipe
- Purina ONE SMARTBLEND Chicken & Rice Formula
- Purina ONE SMARTBLEND Small Bites Beef & Rice Formula
- Purina ONE SMARTBLEND Vibrant Maturity 7+ Senior Formula
And in canned dog food, the company’s offerings are:
- Wholesome Chicken & Brown Rice Entree Tender Cuts in Gravy
- Wholesome Lamb & Long Grain Rice Entree
- Wholesome Lamb & Brown Rice Entree Tender Cuts in Gravy
- Wholesome Chicken & Brown Rice Entree
- Wholesome Beef & Barley Entree Tender Cuts in Gravy
- Wholesome Beef & Brown Rice Entree
- Wholesome Turkey & Barley Entree
The ingredients and specific purpose of dog food will vary from product to product. Here is something common about the dog food products by Nestle-Purina:
- Top five ingredients in dog food by Purina include Whole Grain Corn, Meat and Bone Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Animal Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols) and Soybean Meal.
- Primary source of protein is chicken.
- Primary source of carbohydrates is corn.
- Digestibility is good.
- Promotes lean muscle growth
- Purina’s products are mediocre in terms of ingredients as compared to various other leading dog food brands but undoubtedly your dog is eating healthy when you are feeding him Purina’s dog food.
- Purina’s dog food is not recommended for serious dog breeders.
- Vitamin E is used as preservatives in the dog food products of Purina.
- Purina dog foods contain synthetic vitamin K (menadione).
- You will also find “ground yellow corn” and by product meal in Purina products.
Dog Food by Pedigree: Owned by Mars Inc., Pedigree is among world leaders when it comes quality pet food. The company specializes in dog and cat food. In dry dog food segment, the company offers:
The canned dog food portfolio of the company includes:
- Pedigree Meaty Ground Dinner (chopped)
- Pedigree Little Champions Casserole Dinner
- Pedigree Meaty Ground Dinner (chunky)
- Pedigree Choice Cuts in Gravy
- Pedigree Puppy Meaty Ground Dinner
- Pedigree Little Champions Butcher’s Stew
- Pedigree Little Champions Grilled Flavors in Sauce
- Pedigree Little Champions Chunks in Gravy
- Pedigree Little Champions Senior Complete Nutrition
- Pedigree Little Champions Meaty Ground Dinner
- Pedigree + Healthy Heart Premium Ground Entree
- Pedigree Little Champions Puppy Complete Nutrition
- Pedigree + Healthy Digestion Premium Ground Entree
- Pedigree Weight Management in Meaty Juices
- Pedigree + Healthy Joints Premium Ground Entree
- Pedigree + Healthy Weight Premium Ground Entree in Meaty Juices
Treats offered by Pedigree include:
- Dentastix Treats
- Dentastix Beef Flavor
- Dentastix Fresh Treats
- Breathbuster Treats
- Pedigree Goodbites Oral Care Snack Food for Dogs
- Pedigree Goodbites Hip & Joint Snack Food for Dogs
- Marrobone Treats
- Jumbone Treats
Some highlights of Pedigree dog food products include:
- Predominant ingredient is ground whole corn. Corn will provide protein and energy but it is not easily digestible by dogs.
- Pedigree uses BHA/BHT as preservative.
- Meat and bone meal is the second ingredient.
- Pedigree dog food products don’t contain synthetic vitamin K (menadione).
- Corn gluten meal, soybean meal, and ground whole wheat are the next few ingredients.
- Animal fat and vegetable oil is present in the dog food by pedigree.
- Digestibility of pedigree dog food products is mediocre.
- Artificial coloring is also present in pedigree dog food.