Call us Now Call us+91-8744012053

Mon - Sat ~ 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM

Follow & Like

What To Do If Your Pet Dog Finds Your Chocolate Stash

chocolate and dogs In your life there are two loves, your pet dog and chocolate. Unfortunately, your two loves don’t go well together. For years now chocolate has been known to be toxic for dogs, even causing them to pass away if consumed in large enough amounts. But why is this? Chocolate contains two toxic elements for dogs and that is caffeine and theobromine. These two main ingredients have the ability to speed up your dog’s heart rate while overstimulating your dog’s nervous system. When your pet swallows chocolate, the potential risk factors and how sick they become is determined on the type of chocolate and the amount that’s consumed, along with the weight of the dog. So what do you do if your pet dog eats your stash of chocolate by accident? This guide will give you a run down on what you need to do when your pet has been suspected of eating this delicious treat.

What To Do If Your Dog Consumes Chocolate

Don’t Panic

The first thing you need to do is to stay calm and don’t panic. Panicking in a situation like this doesn’t help you or your pet. You need to stay calm and focused in order to really help your pet.

Assess How Much Chocolate They’ve Eaten

Before calling the vet you need to assess how much chocolate they’ve eaten in order to give your vet accurate information. If you remember you had a full block and half is missing, then you have a pretty good idea of how much your pet has consumed. If your pet has only eaten one or two squares and is a larger dog, you should monitor your pet, especially if it is not exhibiting any signs.

Assess What Chocolate It Was

It is important to know the type of chocolate and tell the vet. Some chocolates tend to contain more toxic elements than other chocolates. The ones that have more cocoa powder, tend to be the ones that will affect your pet the most due to more toxic elements that are infused within the chocolate.

Call The Vet

vet If you suspect your pet has consumed a high amount of chocolate, the first thing you need to do is call the vet immediately and let them know you’ll be coming in. They’ll also be able to advise you on any other measures you need to take before bringing your pet in. Once you take your pet to the vet, and chocolate toxicity is confirmed, they will generally induce vomiting or take activated charcoal and administer it to your pet. Charcoal is known to help limit the absorption of toxins within a dog’s body, so this is why it’s used commonly for treating dogs with toxicity issues.

What Are The Signs Of Chocolate Poisoning

Generally, with dogs, chocolate poisoning will show up between 6-12 hours after ingestion occurs and can last up to 72 hours. Signs of chocolate poisoning in dogs include:

  • Increased urination
  • Vomiting
  • Restlessness
  • Diarrhoea
  • Tremors
  • Elevated heart rate
  • Seizures
  • Death in severe cases blog-ad1-RC


To avoid your pet dog from ingesting your chocolate stash it’s important to put it away in a high, enclosed location. While you may have two loves in your life, it doesn’t mean they have to meet. Keep your pet safe by storing your chocolate safely.


Born in Mexico, a country of vivid beauty and colourful people, Cecilia Casillas brings the passion of her country of birth into her current artistic work with pets. Cecilia has painted since childhood, and studied with Mexican painter Paul Achar and Chilean painter Carlos Arias. In 2014, she came to Melbourne to continue refining her artistic skills, and finishing her bachelor's degree.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *