Call us Now +91-8744012053
Mon - Sat ~ 10:00 AM - 6:00 PMFollow & Like
Hiccups, just like in humans, are quite common in dogs, especially in the puppies. Normally dog hiccups are harmless and they are rarely serious. Mainly, the source of hiccups in dogs is spasms of their diaphragm. This can be caused by eating too fast, excitement, irritants as well as stress. In general, puppies hiccup in the morning after waking up, after eating, after naps, or after too much excitement. Some puppies even hiccup while sleeping. Puppies make sound of hiccup that is similar to the humans.
Causes of Hiccups in Dogs
Some causes of hiccups in puppies are as follows:
• Frequent hiccups can be caused due to drinking or eating something too fast. Sometimes, if the puppy is overjoyed with the treat you are giving him, he may gulp down that food swiftly, causing hiccups.
• Hiccups can be caused by stomach disorders.
• Hiccups can also be caused due to emotional stress, nervousness, and excessive excitement.
• Sometimes, there can be reverse hiccups in dogs that can be confused with the normal hiccups in puppies. If you notice that your puppy has a series of loud, rapid, and forced inhalations through the nostrils, which last between 15 seconds to 2 minutes, it can be a case of reverse hiccups. The exact cause of this type of hiccups in the dogs is not known, but generally it is associated with sinusitis or the respiratory disorders.
Cures of hiccups in Dogs
There is no any specific action that you need to take to cure hiccups in your dog. Hiccups normally go away on their own, but if you feel the need to do something, you can go with following suggestion:
• Calm your puppy and talk with your puppy in a gentle tone and do not excite him.
• You should try to distract your puppy from the hiccups with the help of toys. In this way, you can at least keep him busy rather than waiting for hiccups to go
• You can give your puppy some water to drink so that any irritation in the esophagus will be relieved
• You may take your puppy for a walk or may even make it run because exercise not only relieves the gas problem, but also keeps your puppy healthy and fit.