Top dog breeds for Senior Folks.
What about surprising your parents or grandparents with a cute pup on their wedding anniversary or either parent’s birthday? Gifting a dog is not just novel but noble too! But it’s important to pair up your grandparents or parents with a breed that is much in tune with their personality and lifestyle.
You may want to consider a dog that is rather easy to care for. Our old folks need a zesty deviation in their golden years to keep alive a fun temperament and an active way of life. Here are some pure-bred dog breeds that offer ideal companionship to senior people and bring with them emotional and health benefits for their owners. These are smaller dog breeds with a moderate level of energy and are known to adapt well to their owners’ attitudes & surroundings.
- Shih-Tzu: For any wannabe dog owner to be able to easily train their pup is a priority and this breed perfectly fills the bill. Also Shih-Tzus are easy to lift up and carry around. They will go all out to win over their owners with their cute moves and playful antics.
Shih-tzu enjoy a laid-back snuggle time with their humans for an uninterrupted television viewing or book reading interlude. Image http://www.dailymail.co.uk
- Lhasa apso: This is one devoted breed. They are very protective of & attached to their favorite humans. Lhasa-apsos with their feisty barking excel as watch dogs too; however their harmless stature may make this hard to believe. A slight noise or knock at the main door will not go unnoticed by this pooch with exceptional hearing sensibilities and it will make sure to alert its owner. Therefore anyone living alone is sure to feel secure in its company.
Early socialization and training is important for this breed for it to be more accepting of harmless visitors and children. Image www.pinterest.com
- Pomeranian: Here’s another watchdog that looks like a fluffy soft toy. Poms enjoy their play sessions and equally yearn for those still moments in your arm and on your lap.
- Cavalier King Charles Spaniel: This is one friendly and gentle doggie. This breed adjusts well even in a small apartment. Cavvies are comfortable in the presence of kids so if guests often comprise of children it shouldn’t be a problem mingling the four legged family member with the latter.
Another positive trait found in Cavvies is their ability to take to training easily. Image http://www.akc.org
- Poodle: They come in three sizes namely Toy poodle, Miniature poodle and the Standard Poodle. So here you get to choose between a tiny, small or medium sized pooch. Though the breed’s temperament remains uniform in each of these sizes. It’s an intelligent dog also known to do well at agility competitions. They are fast learners, so training them is a breeze.
Poodles imbibe their owner’s way of life well and are known to exhibit unhindered devotion for their human family. Image https://www.bostonglobe.com
A canine offers more than just friendship. The dog owner gets to exercise with the pet during the latter’s daily walks and play time. Scientific studies claim that a dog’s companionship prevents depression, reduces anxiety and lowers blood pressure. Don’t let your age stop you from experiencing this blissful and healthful association! It’s best to select a dog that will gel well with your personality. Perhaps at your age you may not want a highly spirited pooch or a very large dog. Obviously each dog has its grooming, health, food and exercise needs and all of these are part and parcel of effective pet parenting.