Call us Now Call us+91-8744012053

Mon - Sat ~ 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM

Follow & Like

5 FRUITS that are Bad for DOGS.

The Forbidden Fruit: Not all fruits are good for Dogs.

Fruits are synonymous with healthy eating and a balanced diet. No doubt they are packed with

the goodness of vitamins, minerals, proteins and other nutrients. But caution must be exerted

while sharing foodstuffs with pets. So to say, not all fruits are considered healthy for dogs.

Below mentioned is a concise piece of information that discerning dog owners ought to

be mindful of.

Fruits and Dogs Youtube/CuteDogMaymo


A small portion of apple without the seeds can be given to dogs, but no seeds should be given as they are poisonous for them. Cyanide that is a salt of hydrocyanic acid (an extremely toxic compound) is found in the seeds of the apple fruit.  However human beings are able to process the seeds but dogs are not equipped with a similar system. Also if you feed too many apples even though you are avoiding the pip, the excess of the fruit can wreck the dog’s wellbeing than do any good. It may suffer from loose motions. Another unwelcome effect would be increase in weight leading to obesity, after all this fruit is high on the sugar count.

Why Grapes are bad for dogs?
Juicy Grapes though a tempting fruit should be kept at bay when it comes to preparing an ideal diet plan for dogs. Talking about grapes and dried grapes (raisins) are extremely toxic to canines as even a small amount of their consumption can cause irreparable kidney damage and a condition known as anuria where the kidneys fail to make urine. The initial symptoms could range from abdominal pain, nausea, laziness, appetite loss, production of abnormally small amounts of urine and dehydration. The severity of the issue is documented through its fatal nature leading to permanent kidney damage and death of the pet.

This fruit is good for your four legged companion as long as you only feed it the soft and succulent pulp, any other part including the seed is not safe for the pooch. Cyanide is found in all of the other parts of this plant that is responsible for its toxicity. Excepting the fleshy pulp the rest of the plant can lead to breathing problems, insufficient levels of oxygen in the body and death. Cyanide disrupts the functioning of an important enzyme that is in-charge for the transportation of oxygen to the cells.

Respiratory failure is caused if the dog consumes any other part of the plant apart from the soft pulp. The pip, leaves and twigs of the apricot plant is known to contain cyanide. Therefore consuming these can be fatal to your canine friend. Some common symptoms that suggest cyanide poisoning include enlarged pupils, increased redness of the gums, difficulty in breathing and shock. Apricots are toxic to cats as well.


Even a small quantity accidentally consumed can result in severe effects such as nausea, loose motions, and eventually kidney failure where the kidneys fail to carry out the cleansing of metabolic waste matter from the cells. If the dog has ingested the fruit the master must immediately get in touch with a veterinarian or an Emergency Helpline that deals with cases pertaining to pet poisoning.

It is not just the canines but felines and ferrets too are known to suffer ill effects at the hands of grape/raisin or currant-consumption.

In the best interest of the pet, keep all of the aforementioned fruits completely out of your dog’s reach.

Article Resource Box:




The blog editor of Pets World is a pet aficionado and fervently follows her pet-obsession. A pet parent to animals big and small for the past two decades. The sum of all experiences gathered is an amalgamation of useful knowledge and research.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *